Being a good sportsman, of course, requires one to be good in sports but certain qualities can set the individual stand out from the others- in a good way. Some of the qualities that make a good athlete and that have also played a role in their road to success are:
- Strife to drive to your success. Just having the talent is not enough to be world-class. Most of the athletes, who are where they are now, are because of their drive, their motivation and their determination. They strive to excel in their field even with all the setbacks. Moving forward with humility without ever stopping till they reach the objective
- Being disciplined. A good sportsman is disciplined as he follows his schedule/routine regarding exercises, practice and even maintaining a healthy balanced diet.
- Commitment is one of the qualities that you will see in the world-class athletes. To achieve your dream, you need focus at the aim and keep out distractions. Being committed to your sport comes with a price to pay as you will have to sacrifice your time for other things for the sport.
- Being a good positive competitor. To be a good sportsman is to be competitive in the sport and aim to win. But sometimes some situation may be negative and not how you wanted it to be. Even if your opponent wins, it is the duty of a good sportsman to congratulate the other and be happy for him/her and not be negative. Being positive and take the loss in a good healthy way so that you can work on enhancing your skill further.
- Being brave. There are chances of failing in some competitions, but a good sportsman is one that is not afraid of failure and sharing those experiences of failure to others as there is nothing to be ashamed of. You can learn a lot more from failures than from success. Also through failures, you can learn and adopt new mindset or a new way of approaching something new. It also requires one to be brave to know when to seek for help or assistance to be the best you can be.
- No regrets. There will be situations or outcomes of the game that is not favourable, but it is up to the sportsman to decide if the outcome of the match will hold him/her back and stay in the past or move forward. Having regrets is a powerful thing that can influence the individual so make every opportunity count and give your best instead of regretting about it.
- Using time wisely. A good sportsman manages his time wisely. There is a need to practice the sport for hours, but it doesn’t mean you use up all of your time on it. There are other priorities in life that you can’t ignore, so it is crucial to managing time wisely and dividing it to practising, work, family, friends as needed.